Thursday, July 4, 2013

Free Energy Meets Free Software at FISL 14 in Brazil

The International Forum for Free Software paid for my trip to come speak at their conference. Though exotic free energy is a tangential topic here, the "outside-the-box" thinking about distributed solutions is something we have strongly in common.
by Sterling D. Allan
I'm down here in Porto Alegre, Brazil, for the 14thInternational Forum on Free Software (FISLÂș14).
One of the organizers, Thomas Soares, who has a passion for both Free Software and Free Energy Technology, invited me to come speak about the Top 5 Exotic Free Energy Technologies Closest to Market. FISL paid for my trip to Brazil to do this.
You might ask: "What does this have to do with Free Energy?"
There are actually quite a few cross-pollination points between the two movements. Both are populated by mavericks who think outside the box and are pushing the envelope. Both are very much in favor of "power to the people," in the spirit of making things distributed, compared to centralized as so many things are today, with the mainstream increasing that trend.
Here's video of an interview I did with Soares, in which he introduces the concept of Free Software, and he also explains his interest in Free Energy.
As one of the movers and shakers in the Free Software world, in his 14th year as a founder, helping organize this conference that is expected to be attended by around 10,000 people in four days, he is both a qualified spokesman for that movement, and an inspiration to us in the world of Exotic Free Energy. I think it shows how far we've come that someone with level of influence would show this level of interest. He has dropped everything to focus on helping bring some of these exotic free energy technologies to general usefulness. He could be a great avenue for rolling out an open source FE tech to the world.
Soares arranged for me to use the VIP office space where I could get a good internet connection; and while helping me on some translations for my PowerPoint, he pointed out that my computer is probably the only one in the entire conference that has MS Windows installed on it. I realized that even though we individually can't fight all battles, that I should probably do more to move away form "mainstream" software, and adopt "free software", such as Linux, to do my part in supporting alternatives to mainstream players that have become corrupt.
I have found the people at this conference to be very passionate, similar to what I find at exotic FE conferences.
I had to chuckle at the speaker sign-in table. With 10,000 people attending, and 16 lecture rooms, 10 lectures a day, for 4 days, there were more speakers at this conference than visitors that show up to most free energy conferences. They had a speaker check-in area that was manned by four people.
Tesla Coil Demo Video
I'm in process of uploading at video giving you a brief tour of the venue, focusing in on Thomas Soares' demonstration space and the Tesla Coil demonstration area. I go to go inside the Faraday cage as they turned on the coil, shooting a video from inside. I was the first, the a line formed by a bunch of others who wanted to do the same. The video will probably be done uploading by about 6 am tomorrow.
You Can Watch Live
You can watch the lectures live. They have a list of speakers and subjects on their site, which is available in several languages.
I'll be speaking in room 40T on July 4 at 2 pm, Brazil time (GMT-3 [is 11 am Mountain time]). That day is appropriate, given that my subject touches on the idea that "Free Energy is about Freedom." Think of the empowerment that clean, affordable, everywhere available, inexhaustible energy will provide the world.
I imagine most of you in the U.S. will be engaged in 4th of July activities, but if you would like to catch it later, there will be a video recording posted within a day that you can watch.
P.S. Don't Worry, Be Happy
As a totally tangential side note, here is a little write-up I did about the experience I had yesterday morning at the GRU airport in Sao Paulo. It's kind of funny, with a moral to the story.
Wow, that GRU airport experience is one of the most surreal ever, in all the travelling I've done.
Like usually, after going through the passport check, I retrieved my luggage from baggage claim.
But unlike what I've experienced before, there was no obvious place to take my luggage next for it to go on the next plane to my final destination, Porto Alegre.
I asked several agents for guidance. One said "go downstairs". The next said, "go upstairs". The next said, "go over there".
My ticket stub did not have my flight number printed in any obvious way. I finally saw it once, but could not find it again, so I was going based on the departure time, and the departure was delayed due to fog (I found this out after talking to about 3 agents).
I think I was reading the monitor right, based on the city name and clock times, even though half the info was in Portuguese.
The monitor directed me to Gate 1-F, but when I went down to where all the "1" gates were, they had three entry points, for A, B, and C. Finally after going upstairs and down a couple of times, I realized that the "C" included "C-I" as in i
There were several delays, apparently, due to weather (fog, which they didn't know when it would clear), so the area was packed.
Finally, I realized that the lady sitting next to me spoke pretty good English, and she said she would let me know when they made an announcement about my flight. It turned out she is
After a couple of hours, a pertinent announcement came over, and nearly everyone gave a jubilant cheer, and got up to stand in line at Gate A.
When I got to the gate and showed my passport, the agent pulled me aside and asked me to wait while he went and inquired of another agent. Then a minute later, he had me follow him to Gate B, back behind where the agent cabinets are, where a small number of people then followed him past the first gate, which they closed as we walked by it, and we entered a small shuttle vehicle, which had three seats up next to the driver, followed by 2 sets of four seats behind that, like a hotel shuttle van.
I wondered what kind of plane we would be going to, some tiny thing, if that's all that are getting on the shuttle to get there?
It drove us to another building, which had about 8 gates with probably 300 seats spaciously spread around, and the monitor said my flight would be leaving from gate 1F.
As I looked around the room at the different gates, I was puzzled, because at each of the gates, there was the cabinetry and agents, but no apparent door, except at one. Then I realized that the glass windows were sliding glass, which became the portals at ground level.
I had barely pulled my computer out when an announcement came over the intercom that nearly everyone in the area rejoiced at, got out of their seat and lined up behind 1F. Apparently, it was going to be a big plane.
Now, here I was, walking outside with all these people, to board the large plane that most likely was going to be completely full. The weather was a bit chilly and breezy, but that didn't get to me, without a jacket, because we weren't out there long enough (maybe 5 minutes). Glad it wasn't raining at the moment. The wet ground let me know that it had been raining not long before. Of course, I had my luggage with me so I could have pulled out my umbrella and winter coat if I needed it. But even though it is "winter" here in Brazil, their "winter" is more like our Spring -- mildly cool at worst, so I probably over-prepared for winter weather.
Now, here I was, walking up a set of stairs into the jet, which had no apparatus under it for loading luggage. And here I was with this large piece of luggage, wondering what we were going to do with it. It certainly was not going to fit in any overhead compartment or under any seat, and they didn't seem equipped to be able to put it in the regular luggage area under the plane.
As I got to the top of the stairs and entered the plane, I pointed to my luggage with a questioning look to the two stewardesses, no shook their heads at me. I returned with a blank look like, "what am I supposed to do?"
They then took my luggage and set it by them at the entry way. My seat was two rows from the very front, but I didn't see what they did with it. Did they just keep it there with them where they do all their prep stuff?
A few minutes later they brought me a receipt for my luggage for claiming it later.
Maybe thy tucked it behind the pilot's seat.
Actually, it turns out that they somehow got it down below, and I picked it up at baggage claim.
So, that's my experience at an airport on an unusual day, with an unusual situation, not speaking the language, but still, somehow, things worked out.
Sterp.s. Porto Alegre means: "Cheerful Port" (or gate).
Upon reading this account, my Brother-in-Law, Kevn Lambson, who produced our PES logo and other graphics, gave the following quip:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Latin American travel scheduling. In Mexico, typical answers to "when is the bus coming" were: "Today, maybe, tomorrow, maybe." Spent lots of time proselyting in stations.
Let professionals in the renewable energy sector know about the promise of this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment